Beef Data & Genomics Programme (BDGP)
Progressive Genetics, in consultation with Teagasc & the ICBF created their 1st BDGP Breeding Guide which was launched at the Ploughing Match (2015), we are featuring our BDGP Pages within the main beef catalogue, check our beef catalogue click here.
Quality Replacements: The Challenges
- Current national average 0.85 calves per cow per year
- Average calving interval >400 days
- Average age at 1st calving =32 months
Quality Replacements: The Solutions
- 5 Star replacements more fertile
- 5 Star replacements more calves per cow per year
- 5 Star replacements higher weaning weight
- Easy Calving (through using proven easy calving bulls)
- Heifers calving at 24 months
How to maximise the number of 4/5 star genotyped replacements from A.I.
1. Establish how many 4/5 star replacement heifers you need from your ‘BDGP Euro star Report’.
2. Breed for more than you need. If you need 7, breed for 10; cows have low reliability, are not yet genotyped. 50% of calves will be males. To get 7 heifers qualifying you will need 20 pregnancies. If you have surplus there will be a good market for them.
3. Mate your highest Replacement Index cows to a team of selected A.I. bulls.
4. Aim for a higher Replacement Index than the target of €78. The maths would suggest that you should aim for €106.50 to ensure that you have an increased chance of meeting the €78 target post genotyping.
5. Select a team of bulls and try to reach 85% reliability on the sire side as the dam reliability is low.
If 2 bulls at 70% reliability are used equally that is the equivalent of using one bull at 85% reliability, if 3 bulls at 55% reliability are used equally that is the equivalent of using one bull at 85% reliability.
- Vary the number of bulls on your team according to the reliability of the individual bulls; the greater the number of bulls on the team, the greater the team reliability.
- Use low reliability bulls with caution.
- High reliability A.I. bulls are the safest choice
Check out out latest Beef Catalogue click here.
Use A.I. for:
- High Index
- Easy Calving
- Fertile Semen
- Maternal qualities
- Calving ability
- Nationwide Technician Service
Timeline of important dates for scheme:
|Today||You can start breeding 4 & 5 Star Replacement heifers (across) today.|
|30th June 2016||80% of the AI used must be from 4 or 5 star bulls on the terminal or replacement index (within or across breeds).|
|31st October 2018||Need to have 20% eligible replacements.|
|31st October 2020||Need to have 50% eligible replacements|
We are here to help, we are your replacement partner, if you have any queries on the BDGP Scheme or general AI use in Suckler herd, please don't hesitate to contact us through the website, by ringing the office or contacting your local DIY Salesperson, contact details click here.
Posted by Progressive Genetics
on Friday, 13 April 2018
Calving Date Calculator